Every year, the Australian Institute of Landscape Designers and Managers National Landscape Design Awards recognise and showcase the very best landscape designers and projects around Australia. Saunders Havill Group is proud to announce that we have recently been awarded two gold medals by AILDM for landscape design on the recently opened Hummingbird House.
Saunders Havill Group has taken out gold in two award categories:
- Commercial Landscape Design – Educational/Institutional
- Landscape Design – Pro Bono
Hummingbird House is a dedicated standalone respite and hospice facility established to be an Australian leader in paediatric palliative care. It is unique in Queensland offering a comprehensive continuum of care to children and teens with life-limiting conditions and their families in a home-like environment.
The site is located in the Brisbane suburb of Chermside within “Wheller Gardens Estate” owned by Wesley Mission. The overall area is over 5000 m2 with over 2800 m2 of landscaping, including:
- shaded planting entry and arrival zone;
- private open spaces for guests in care;
- a “Big Backyard” with space for games, activities and BBQs;
- a communal open area for meeting and socialising;
- an adventure garden with a boardwalk up to a “treehouse” platform
- private courtyards including the Hummingbird Room Zone with water features and softening plants; and
- a rooftop garden.
Saunders Havill Group’s Glen Challenor, a Senior Landscape Architect, commenced working on the project in July 2014 and the project has been a rewarding project for the whole SHG Landscape Architecture team. Hummingbird House swung its doors open at its official opening on 10 October.
Saunders Havill Group is proud to be a construction partner of Hummingbird House, helping it achieve its vision to deliver vital respite and hospice services for Queensland families.